Friday, March 25, 2011

The infusion

So Wednesday I headed up to the doctors waiting for my phone to ring to tell me the infusion was back off. Luckily that didn't happen.

After an hour of premedication (Heavy steriods, bennydryl and who knows what else) the magic drug was hitting my veins. I began to relax.

Within an hour I knew I was having a reaction and I couldn't decide if I should say something (For those that want to lecture me don't bother). You see I wanted this drug to work so badly that I thought I could will the reaction away. I needed an answer so badly that I refused to speak up.

Lucky for my body the reaction started to show in my face with hives and the intense need to scratch. I didn't tell the nurse that I was ready to barf or that my throat was all scratchy or that breathing was difficult (I KNOW). She saw the hives and slowed the drip down and added the second bag of just saline solution to my iv. Within minutes the side effects died.

Yes I know, I should have said something but unless you have NEEDED an answer so badly that you would do anything to get it you can't lecture me. When you have tried every type of pill out there, and the doctor says "this could be the answer" you will bend over backwards to make it work and I did.

The rest of the afternoon went off without a hitch. The infusion lasted a long 5.5 hours instead of 4.5 and when I left I just wanted to crawl into a whole.

The nasuea didn't go away until this morning (two days later), but it's gone. I'm still feeling a little more tired than usual... but I am always tired so I can handle that.

I finally found out that it can take 2-8 weeks to see if the meds are working, so now I wait. Hoping, praying, willing for my life to be normal. I am already making plans for what I am going to do when I feel normal (First- exercise and loose weight!)

In two weeks I have the 2nd infusion and I can't wait... this time it will start off slow so there is no reaction and if there is I may speak up... just not sure.

No comments: