Tuesday, October 5, 2010

From My Heart

I have a feeling I have really annoyed some of you with all my post for the Lupus Walk, but it is really important to me and let me tell you why.

First, of course, I have Lupus. But I hope that many of you don't actually see it in me. For some reason I try to hide it. I don't want to be discounted because of Lupus so I do everything I can to make it "go away" when I'm around others. I know I fail sometimes, but I try.
I have had Lupus for 10 years and as Lupus does it affects each person differently. For me it mainly affects my Lungs and joints plus the exhaustion I deal with plus a number of other small things.
I live in pain 90% of the time (the other 10% I'm medicated) :-). Small things are extremely painful, holding a pencil or handle for too long, sitting in one place, walking across a room and so on.
I am lucky if I go a month without seeing a doctor. as soon as I get a cold it is only a matter of time before it becomes a serious infection. And don't get me started on all the medication and thier side effects. I take some meds just to off set the side effects of others.

Secondly, two years ago I attended the Seattle Lupus walk for the first time with the invation of my Lupus buddy Gracie (Then 7 years old). It was a lot of fun but I wanted it to be bigger so I contacted the office to join the committee for the following walk.
Last's years walk was my first as a committee member and even with the rain DUMPING down we had record numbers. 700+ attenders, $70,000+ in money raised. It was amazing.
This year I want to see those numbers go higher, even though they are slowly creeping up there I am getting nervous with just 11 days til the walk. The success of this walk is such a strong desire of my heart. I don't want someone to hear the word "Lupus" and ask what in the world that is, or is that serious. I want to out grow Magnuson Park. I want Purple to be as noticeable as Pink.

So I ask, encourage and beg you to join in with this walk in 1 of 3 ways:
1. Join our team! We have a ton of fun
2. Donate to our team. Even the smallest amount will make a HUGE differnce
and/or
3. Repost this. Share it with your friends and family. Let's raise awareness... and if you have Lupus please add how it affects you... since it affects each of us differently your story could make a huge difference.

You can Click here to donate or join our team

And for another great story of how Lupus affects others, check out the Spoon Theory Click Here

1 comment:

aashvi said...

There can be several kinds of chest pen but when it is related to heart disease, it becomes dangerous. It’s very important that we should keep this in mind. Dilse India provides information about chest pain. The information can be helpful for those who have chest pain and there is danger of heart disease.
Website : Risk of chest pain